Academic Research Consortium
The Academic Research Consortium (ARC) Summer Program provides mentored research experiences in all disciplines to undergraduates at the junior level or continuing seniors with the potential to succeed in graduate study, but who have experienced situations or conditions that have adversely impacted their advancement in their field of study. The program targets talented and motivated students who can benefit from additional encouragement and academic support.
The ARC Summer Program fosters and supports students in scholarly research endeavors to help them achieve their personal and professional goals as undergraduates and to prepare them for their next challenge.
To learn more about our students' research experience, check out their summer research blogs!
ARC Scholar Activities
Once chosen as an ARC Scholar, the student embarks upon a 7-week summer program of research and graduate school preparation guided by UC Santa Barbara’s Graduate Division staff, faculty, and graduate student mentors. Scholars are provided with an excellent opportunity to explore their discipline, experience research, and improve their opportunities for future study in their chosen field. Scholars are matched individually with UCSB faculty and graduate student mentors who provide training and support.
ARC Scholars will receive the following:
- A 7-week summer research experience from June 22 to August 7, 2015
- $2500 summer program stipend
- Housing accommodations: Non-UCSB students are accommodated in University Housing; UCSB students receive $900 housing stipend
- Weekly academic enrichment and professional development workshops
- Participation in end-of-summer symposium to present research work
- Preparation for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Priority consideration:
- Groups underrepresented in higher education
- Students from economically/educationally disadvantaged backgrounds
- First generation to attend college
- Non-traditional students
- Individuals who have faced life challenges
- Completion of at least the junior year by June 2015
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Applicants are expected to list two UC Santa Barbara faculty members with whom they are interested in conducting research with during the 2015 ARC Summer Program. Information about UC Santa Barbara faculty members can be found at their respective department websites. For questions on faculty selection, please contact:
Director of Admissions and Outreach
March 15, 2015
The application is closed.