The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry provides exciting opportunities for graduate study and research at the cutting edge of modern chemical science. The department is among the best in the country. We feature high caliber faculty and state-of-the-art facilities in all areas of chemistry, including the traditional sub-disciplines (biochemistry, inorganic, materials, organic, physical, and theoretical). Interdisciplinary collaboration with scientists, nationally and internationally, as well as with other departments and organized research units on campus, is encouraged and supported.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry also offers a joint two-year program, with the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. Students spend their first year working on an MA in Chemistry and year two is spent working on a Single Subject Credential in Chemistry. Deadline for this program is January 13, 2023. For more information about program requirements and deadlines, see Chemistry/TEP Joint Graduate Degree Program.
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9510
MA/PhD, MS/PhD, PhD
- Fall Only: December 1, 2022 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (submitted in the online application)
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Optional Ph.D. Emphasis in Bioengineering