UCSB offers a range of funding support for entering graduate students in the form of fellowships, grants, teaching and research assistantships. Prospective students should evaluate their financial situation when considering graduate school and how to fund their studies.

Most of our doctoral students receive a multiyear funding package upon recruitment. This typically consists of a combination of fellowship support and employment as a teaching assistant or graduate student researcher. These packages cover payment of both in-state and non-resident tuition, health insurance, and the majority of fees, as well as a stipend or salary for living expenses.


Merit-based university awards and funding sources include centrally administered fellowships, department and campus gift and endowment funds, and departmental block grants. For all new incoming international doctoral students, the International Doctoral Recruitment Fellowship (IDRF) can provide significant support for non-resident supplemental tuition (NRST). Fellowships may include tuition and fees, health insurance, non-resident supplemental tuition (NRST), stipends. Students are nominated by their departments during the application process.

Employment opportunities

Academic appointments

Graduate student academic employment positions provide the single largest source of UC Santa Barbara graduate student support and are an important aspect of graduate training under faculty guidance. Applicants should direct queries about teaching assistantships and graduate student researcher opportunities to their chosen graduate degree program. These positions may all be eligible for fee remission depending on hours worked.

Other campus employment opportunities

In addition to TA or research appointments in academic departments, there are many other campus employment options for current graduate students.


Applicants can search for lecturer, post-doc, research scientist, and other on-campus jobs that generally require a master’s degree or Ph.D. on Recruit, the UCSB academic personnel recruitment site.

UCSB Job Postings

Search for on-campus staff positions (both full-time and part-time) on the UCSB Job Posting site. For more information, email HRweb@hr.ucsb.edu or call (805) 893-3482.


Managed by UCSB Career Services counselors and staff, Handshake is the official site for all students searching for jobs, internships, and on-campus interviews. In addition, it serves as a gateway to free subscription services for students with a current UCSB NetID and recent alumni.

UCSB GradPost Career & Tools Section

Check the UCSB GradPost for listings of various on-campus and off-campus job opportunities specifically targeted to graduate students, like open calls for TAs from departments.

Financial aid and residency for tuition purposes

Federal financial aid

Financial aid for graduate students at UCSB is available from the federal government for students who are U.S. citizens and eligible noncitizens. For graduate students, these awards are limited to loans and work study. Students wishing to be considered for such support should file their FAFSA each year by March 2, the priority deadline for the upcoming academic year.

For more information about loans, work-study, and other financial aid, visit the UCSB Financial Aid website: www.finaid.ucsb.edu.

Establishing California residency for tuition purposes

Every entering student is classified as a resident or non-resident of California for tuition purposes. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have come to UC Santa Barbara from outside the state of California should establish California residency as soon as possible through the Office of the Registrar. If the appropriate steps have been taken, students should obtain California residency by the beginning of their second year.

For more information on establishing California residency for tuition purposes, please contact the UCSB Office of the Registrar’s Campus Residency Deputy at residency@sa.ucsb.edu or call (805) 893-3033.


For general information about funding opportunities, contact our Funding Peer Advisor.

For central fellowship or academic student employment questions, contact the Student Financial Support Staff.