The Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology at UC Santa Barbara provides broad, interdisciplinary education leading to the Master of Science and the Doctor of Philosophy degrees with an emphasis on ecology and evolution, and marine biology and oceanography. The diversity of research interests, perspectives, and expertise within the Department promotes the development of a broad foundation in ecology, evolution and marine biology, and the appreciation for interdisciplinary approaches to research. It also allows students to develop depth in specific sub-disciplines including population and community ecology, ecosystems ecology, limnology, and biological oceanography, ecological physiology, evolution, population genetics, climate science, and organismal biology. Faculty in the Department apply experimental (both field and laboratory-based) as well as modeling approaches and there are many opportunities for students to get involved in field work, outreach activities, and teaching.
Applicants to the Department must be accepted by a major professor with whom they wish to work and who has agreed to supervise the student's graduate training and thesis dissertation research. Therefore, it is strongly encouraged that prospective students contact individual faculty members in the Program whose research interests coincide with their own and to list potential advisors on their application. Other minimum expectations are outlined in more detail on our website.
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Life Sciences Building, Room 4314
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9620
MS, MS/PhD, PhD
- Fall Only: December 1, 2022 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (Submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a biological science
- Minimum GPA 3.0 or equivalent
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Computational Science and Engineering