The Department of Economics prepares graduates to compete in the academic, governmental, and private sectors.
Ph.D./M.A. students complete coursework in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics, three preliminary qualifying examinations, and two elective fields of study. Elective fields include: Econometrics, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Experimental and Behavioral Economics, Labor Economics, Macroeconomic Theory and Policy, Microeconomic Theory, and Public Economics.
Department of Economics
University of California, Santa Barbara
North Hall 2120
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210
- Fall Only, Ph.D./M.A.: December 2, 2022 is the deadline to apply for admission with priority Financial Support Consideration. January 2, 2023 (by 11:59 PM PST) is the final deadline to apply for admission.
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (uploaded into online application)
- Official GRE General Scores
- All applicants are REQUIRED to upload a document showing the detail of their academic background, especially in the areas of Mathematics and Economic Theory. For more information and examples, please see: Description of Academic Background. This document and a template can also be downloaded from the sidebar at https://econ.ucsb.edu/
- TOEFL scores for those applying to the Ph.D./M.A.: A minimum score of 600 Paper-Based Test (PBT), or 100 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Economics and Environmental Science (Ph.D. only), Demography (Ph.D. Only), Climate Science and Climate Change (Ph.D. Only)