The Teacher Education Program (TEP) offers Preliminary California State Teaching Credentials combined with a Master's Degree in Education (M.Ed). Credentials available include:
- Education Specialist Credential in Extensive Support Needs
- Education Specialist Credential in Mild to Moderate Support Needs
- Multiple Subject Credential (Elementary), and
- Single Subject Credential (Secondary)
The one-year, full-time combined Credential and Master's Degree program is designed to provide the knowledge and experience, both academic and practical, needed to begin a teaching career. Student teaching is concurrent with course work so that the knowledge, theories, and concepts taught at the University can be directly and immediately applied in the classroom setting. The program begins in summer 2023 and concludes in June 2024.
Single Subject credentials are available in the following subjects: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, English, Earth and Space Sciences, Mathematics, Physics (with optional Industrial Technology (ITE) credential), History/Social Science, and World Languages Spanish. (Applicants who are considering the World Languages Credential in Spanish are advised to contact the TEP Office at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to paying for their application.)
Applicants interested in Chemistry may also apply to the joint program with the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. This is a two year program first spent working on a MA in Chemistry and year two spent working on a Single Subject Credential in Chemistry. For more information about program requirements and deadlines, see Chemistry/TEP Joint Graduate Degree Program.
In addition, the Teacher Education Program offers optional preparation for a Bilingual Authorization in Spanish. For more information regarding the UCSB Teacher Education Program please contact the Teacher Education Program Office at (805) 893-2084.
Gevirtz Graduate School of Education, Teacher Education Program
University of California, Santa Barbara
Education Building, Room 3230
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9490
MEd, ESC, MST, SST, MEd/ESC, MEd/MST, MEd/SST
- M.Ed.; ESC, MST, SST Credentials (Summer start only) Deadline: January 13, 2023 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- MA / SST Chemistry program Deadline: January 13, 2023 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- All requirements must be uploaded to your online application
- Online application ($135 fee for domestic applicants, $155 fee for international applicants)
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV. Please note the TEP Statement of Purpose prompts differ from the eApp essay prompts. Please respond to the Statement of Purpose prompts found in the Application Handbook.
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted online by letter writers)
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended where 12 or more quarter units (8 or more semester units) were earned (submitted online)
- Program & State Requirements: See the Application Handbook for the deadlines of all Program and state credentialing requirements. Please be aware that UCSB TEP requires the Basic Skills Requirement to be passed by 1/13/23, and the Subject Matter Competency requirement to be in progress by 1/13/23.
- All applicants will be invited to interview; the interview is an integral part of your complete application.
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
- For applicants whose native language is not English: TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
Teaching (MEd), Extensive Support Needs or Mild to Moderate Support Needs (ESC)