The Department of Spanish and Portuguese awards the degree of PhD in Hispanic Languages and Literatures with specializations in the areas of Spanish and Latin American Literature, Portuguese and Brazilian Literature, and Iberian Linguistics, and optional emphases on Translation Studies, Feminist Studies, Medieval Studies and Applied Linguistics. These programs are supported by an outstanding and internationally recognized faculty representing the following areas of teaching and research: Peninsular and Latin American culture and literature, Portuguese and Brazilian Studies, US Latino studies, translation studies, drama, critical theory, new media studies, popular culture, applied linguistics, and language pedagogy. Our students and faculty work jointly with other departments and programs, including Linguistics, Latin American and Iberian Studies, Comparative Literature, Chicano/-a Studies, Film and Media Studies, and Theater and Dance.
The Department benefits from the exceptional resources of the University of California integrated library system and the UCSB Center for Portuguese Studies, and embraces Spain’s multilingual and multicultural landscape by hosting the Miguel de Barandarián Chair of Basque Studies, offering Catalan courses, celebrating the “Dia das Letras Galegas”, and working closely with scholars and institutions from Galicia, Catalonia and the Basque Country.
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
University of California, Santa Barbara
Phelps Hall, Room 4206
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4150
- Fall Only: December 17, 2022 (All materials must be received by this date - by 11:59 PM PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (in English, submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Two writing samples in Spanish or Portuguese. Please submit the writing samples in the online application.
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Applied Linguistics; European Medieval Studies; Feminist Studies; Translation Studies (All Ph.D. only)
Hispanic Literatures, Portuguese and Brazilian Literatures, Iberian Linguistics