The profession of Mechanical Engineering is currently undergoing fundamental transformations initiated by scientific breakthroughs and newly emerging technologies. Graduate students are prepared to actively shape these transformations and to build on the opportunities they create. The Department offers specialization in any of the following major areas:
- Bioengineering and Systems Biology
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Dynamical Systems, Control and Robotics
- Micro- and Nanoscale Engineering
- Solid Mechanics, Structures, and Materials Engineering
- Thermal Sciences and Fluid Mechanics
The curricula for each of the major areas emphasize a broad education in the fundamental principles, with subsequent training in the area of specialization. Programs of study and research are highly flexible, and can be individually tailored to accommodate the interests and needs of the students. Interdisciplinary approaches are emphasized, and students are encouraged to cross over traditional boundaries into other departments within the College of Engineering (Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, and Materials) and other science disciplines at UCSB.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara
Engineering II Building, Room 2355
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5070
- Fall Only: December 15, 2022 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (Submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- **Important note: applicants must list their top 3 areas of research interest (using the following abbreviations) in the online application field labeled Area of Research Interest: (1) Bioengineering and Systems Biology (BESB), (2) Computational Science & Engineering (CSE), (3) Dynamic Systems, Controls, and Robotics (DCR), (4) Micro/Nanoscale Systems (MEMS), (5) Solid Mechanics, Structures, and Materials (SMMS), or (6) Thermofluid Sciences (TFS).
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Bioengineering; Computational Science & Engineering; Neuroengineering
Bioengineering and Systems Biology (BESB); Computational Science and Engineering (CSE); Dynamic Systems, Controls, and Robotics (DCR); Micro/Nanoscale Systems (MEMS); Solid Mechanics, Structures, & Materials (SMMS); Thermofluid Sciences (TFS)