The Department of Theater and Dance relates academic study of theater, dance, and performance studies to a rich field of interdisciplinary studies. The M.A. program affords a strong foundation for work in educational or professional theater, dance, and performance, or for further graduate study. The Ph.D. is an intensive program concentrating in literary, critical, and historical research, designed to prepare students for university teaching.
Department of Theater & Dance
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-7060
MA, MA/PhD, PhD
- Fall Only: December 15, 2022 (by 11:59 PM PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Writing Sample (submitted online)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
European Medieval Studies; Feminist Studies; Global Studies (All Ph.D. only)