General Information on Graduate Student Academic Appointments
Student Academic Employment positions provide the single largest source of UC Santa Barbara graduate student support. They also constitute an important aspect of graduate training under faculty guidance. Graduate Student Academic Employment encompasses the following positions:
Graduate Student Researcher
Associate In __
In order to hold academic employment, graduate students must meet the criteria stated above. In certain cases, an Exception to Employment Policy may be requested by the home department in order to allow a student who does not meet these criteria to be employed.
An Exception to Employment Policy must be submitted to the Graduate Division in the following instances:
- All Associate In __ appointments
- Appointment of graduate students on academic probation
- Appointment of graduate students who have already worked a combined total of 18 quarters as a TA and/or Associate up a maximum of 21 quarters per temporary extension of the Chancellor’s authority (see memo from the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs).
- Appointment of graduate students for more than 75% time (however, the 50% time restriction applies to international students and Associates without exception)
- Students is 4 or more quarters Beyond Time to Degree
The Graduate Division has delegated the authority to approve Exceptions to students’ home departments in the following instances, provided that the student meets all other appointment criteria:
Appointments of graduate students from 51 to 75% time
Appointment of graduate students to serve 13 to 18 quarters as a TA and/or Associate
Students employed while on Monitoring Status (but not on Probation)
Appointment of graduate students with a GPA below 3.0
Appointment of graduate students with 12 or more units of incomplete
Student is Beyond Department Normative Time Standards (Pre-Fall 2010 admits)
Student is 1-3 quarters Beyond Time to Degree (with progress plan submitted to Graduate Division)
Departments are allowed to approve graduate student employment exceptions related to Time-to-Degree for up to three quarters as long as an Academic Progress Plan has been submitted to the Graduate Division. In addition, for students who were admitted prior to Fall 2010, departments are now delegated authority to approve employment exceptions for students who have exceeded the department-specific "Normative Time" standard (but who are still within the campuswide 7-year Time-to-Degree standard).
In situations where a student will be employed by a department outside of their home department, the hiring department is responsible for completing an Eligibility Verification Form and ascertaining signature from the student's home department.