Part-time status for graduate students is at the discretion of the Dean of the Graduate Division.
Graduate students may request part-time status for reasons below:
- Reduction in units must be supported by a licensed medical provider for medical reasons.
- Off-campus employment of 30 or more hours per week
- Family Responsibilities
- Established on a case-by-case basis for reasons such as (but not limited to) childcare responsibilities, care of ill family members, etc.
International students are only eligible for part-time status for health.
If approved for part-time status, a student shall only register in a maximum of 6.0 units. Students must petition for approval of part-time status for tuition reduction to take effect.
Part-time status comes with the following reduction of fees:
- One-half of the tuition fee
- One-half of the non-resident supplemental tuition fee
- One-half of the professional fee
- Campus-based fees and UCSHIP fees are NOT reduced
Yes. University & Community Housing Services allow one quarter at a deficit load per the contract, and students can petition for additional quarters as needed.
The hiring department will be reassigned (charged) those wages.
No, petitions must be submitted in advance of the quarter. Petitions submitted after the third week of a quarter cannot be considered.
No, the reason is that part time status uses registered units as the determining factor for the reduction of usage of campus resources that warrant a tuition reduction. Once a student is advanced to candidacy, they take independent study courses, where there is little difference between the campus resources and faculty time used for a four‐unit or eight‐unit 599 course.
No, UC policy does not allow students who receive the two-thirds staff tuition reduction to also receive the part-time reduction.
Yes, however only for medical reasons