Academic Services

Summer Filing Quarter

Due to immigration regulations, international graduate students must either be registered in any Summer Session, or on a Summer Filing LOA to apply for OPT and complete their final degree in the Summer Quarter. This also applies to international students who are not applying for OPT, but who are completing their final degree in the summer and will remain in the U.S. for more than 60 days after the last day of the Spring Quarter.

The Summer Filing Leave of Absence (LOA) enables graduate students who have fulfilled degree requirements- except the final examination and filing of the master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation DMA supporting document, or completion of master’s comprehensive examination or project- to take a Summer Filing LOA in lieu of registering. All coursework and research must be completed and (if applicable) a substantial portion of the thesis/dissertation/DMA supporting document must be drafted prior to the Summer Filing Leave quarter.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Must have been registered or on an approved Filing Leave of Absence the preceding Spring Quarter.

  • Must secure approval from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) before applying.

  • Must be a terminal master’s degree or credential student, or a doctoral degree student.

  • Coursework and research associated with the final degree milestone must be completed, and (if applicable) the thesis/dissertation/DMA supporting document must be substantially drafted.


Application Requirements / Terms and Conditions:

  • Petition must be submitted prior to the awarding of the degree and no later than September 1st.

  • Non-refundable Filing Fee is paid at the time of degree completion. The fee, one-half of the student services fee, is charged to the student’s BARC account.

  • Students who are not in good academic standing, with a cumulative GPA below 3.0 or with units of unfinished coursework, may need to correct these deficiencies to be eligible.

  • Students who do not file by either of the filing deadlines in the summer will need to register, or go on a Filing LOA (if eligible) the subsequent Fall Quarter in order to complete their degree in the Fall Quarter.

  • Students cannot register in absentia following a Filing LOA.

  • Students enrolled in the graduate student health insurance plan in Spring Quarter will remain covered through the summer months. Please contact the SHS Insurance Office with any questions. 

Students may be eligible to:

  • Hold student academic appointments (TA, GSR, Reader, Tutor) or other appointment titles if registered the preceding spring quarter.

  • Receive a University summer fellowship stipend if registered the preceding spring quarter.

  • Use the Recreation Center for a fee.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why don’t domestic students need a summer filing leave?
A: Because they are not subject to federal immigration regulations

Q: Do all international students need to register or be on filing leave during the summer?
A: No, only international graduate students who are filing their final degree over the summer and plan to apply for OPT, or plan to remain in the U.S. for more than 60 days after the last day of spring quarter need such a status. 

Q: Can students on a summer leave still receive a summer stipend?
A: Yes, as long as they were registered the preceding spring. Summer stipends are based on spring registration, so summer LOA should not negatively impact those.

Q: Can students request the summer leave at the same time that they file? Or does it need to be done ahead of time?
A: They can request it ahead of time, or at the time of filing, up to September 1.

Q: Can they still work as a Summer Sessions TA/Associate?
A: Yes, as long as they were registered the preceding quarter.

Q: Would the summer filing leave prohibit a student from taking an academic year filing leave in the future?
A: No. For example, if an international student was registered in the spring, took a summer filing leave, but wasn’t able to file by the end of the summer deadline they could then take a filing leave in the subsequent fall quarter.

Q: Does the summer leave apply for the entire summer or can it be applied to one particular session?
A: It would be applied to the whole summer.

Q:If a student takes 1 unit during summer for CPT, does that count as enough registration to NOT have to take a Summer Filing Leave?
A: Yes.