Media Arts and Technology (MAT) is an interdisciplinary graduate program that offers an unparalleled opportunity for working at the frontiers of art, science, and technology, where new art forms are born and new expressive and analytical media and technologies are invented. MAT offers MS and Ph.D. degrees and includes exploration and research in a range of topics spanning but not limited to electronic audio and music, visual and spatial arts, human-computer interaction, haptics, data visualization and multimedia engineering.
Please visit the Department website for specific information on application materials at https://www.mat.ucsb.edu/admissions/.
Applications for 2023 admission are due December 21, 2022, 11:59 pm PST.
Media Arts and Technology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Phelps Hall, Room 3309
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6065
MS, MS/PhD, PhD
- Fall Only: December 21, 2022, 11:59 pm (PST)
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal History and Diversity Statement, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- MAT Portfolio Submission & Supplemental Information (submitted in the online application under the Statements and Supplemental Documents section. See detailed instructions on the MAT website https://www.mat.ucsb.edu/admissions)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- See department website for additional information: www.mat.ucsb.edu, click on Admissions.
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). UC Santa Barbara reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found.
Optional Ph.D. emphasis in Technology and Society