Recommendations for
Students Traveling

Traveling to conduct research or present at conferences can be an important part of your graduate school experience. To better ensure your safety, the Graduate Division would like you to be aware of a number of precautions you should consider and preparations you should make before you travel. We strongly recommend that you review the following list of useful URLs and information they provide before you travel.  Many of the links are pertinent only for students traveling internationally, but even students traveling within the U.S. may find them helpful.

Students should sign up for the FREE UC travel insurance. Click here for more information.

We also recommend that you contact your department’s Faculty Graduate Advisor, Graduate Program Assistant, and the Office of International Students and Scholars (international students only) to alert them of your travel plans.

Export Control and Travel to Sanctioned Countries


The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) administers a number of different sanction and embargo programs. The sanction programs can be either comprehensive or selective, using the blocking of assets and trade restrictions to accomplish foreign policy and national security objectives.

OFAC administered sanctions not only cover the export of goods, they also cover the export of services. For example, distance learning services may not be provided to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Ukraine under the current OFAC sanctions without a license. A license application from OFAC can take 3-12 months or longer for processing by the federal government, and approval is not guaranteed.

If you are planning to travel to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Ukraine, please contact the Export Control Officer at to discuss your plans immediately. The Export Control Officer must approve Leave of Absence and In Absentia petitions involving the countries listed above.

Other useful sites